A slow simmered Vegetable Beef Soup with tender chunks of beef and wholesome fresh vegetables like carrots, potatoes, tomatoes and green beans.
– 2 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
– 3–4 lb chuck roast
– 7–8 cups low sodium beef broth
– 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
– 2 bay leaves
– 1 medium onion chopped
2 ribs celery chopped
– 2 carrots peeled and chopped
– 2 cloves garlic minced
– 1 teaspoon dried parsley
– 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
– 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
– 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
– 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
– 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes diced
– 1/4 pound green beans trimmed and cut in 1 inch segments
– 1 can (14.5 ounce) petite diced tomatoes
– 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
– Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil in Dutch oven or heavy stockpot over medium to medium high heat. Add the chuck roast and sear to brown each side. Add about 3 cups beef broth (or enough to cover it), black pepper and bay leaves. Simmer for 2 1/2 – 3 hours or until fork tender.
– After the beef has simmered for about 2 hours heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in separate Dutch oven or heavy stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrot; cook 5-7 or until onions and celery are tender. Reduce heat to low and add garlic, parsley, oregano, marjoram, thyme and basil; cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
– Add 4 cups beef broth, potatoes, green beans, diced tomatoes, Worcestershire Sauce. Ladle in 1 1/2 cups of the broth that you cooked the chuck roast in being careful to discard the bay leaves. Simmer until the vegetables are tender; 20-30 minutes.
– Remove the chuck roast from the pot and let it cool on a cutting board. Shred it with 2 forks discarding the fat and the cartilage. Add the shredded beef to the pot and warm for 5 minutes.